by Jeremy Canfield | Updated June 27th, 2017
To prevent the Java Update icon from appearing in the system tray, configure Java to never check for updates automatically.
- Sign into the PC as admin
- Select the Windows Start icon > Control Panel.
- Open the Java Control Panel.
- Select the Update tab.
- Remove the check from Check for updates automatically.
- Select Never.
- Select OK to close the Java Control Panel.
Prevent Java from running at startup.
- Select the Windows Start icon, type msconfig in search, and select msconfig.exe.
- Select the Startup tab.
- Remove the check from Java(TM) Platform SE Auto Updater 2.0.
- Select OK.