by Jeremy Canfield | Updated June 27th, 2017
In this example, an Excel file is opening as Read Only.
Ensure the Read-only attribute is not enabled.
- Right-click on the file, select Properties
- Ensure Read-only is not ticked.
Disable Protected View
- In Excel, select File > Options.
- In the left panel, select Trust Center.
- Select Trust Center Settings.
- In the left panel, select Protected View.
- Remove the tick for every option.
Unprotect the sheet
- At the top of the read only Excel file, select the Review tab.
- If Unprotect Sheet is an option, select Unprotect Sheet. There will likely be a prompt to enter a password. You will need to know the password to unprotect the sheet.