by Jeremy Canfield | Updated August 14th, 2016
Follow these steps to create a drop-down selector in Excel. We will assume you are working in a new workbook.
- Add text to cells A1, A2, A3 and A4
- A1 - boy
- A2 - girl
- A3 - mom
- A4 - data
- Select cell B1
- In the top menu of excel, select Data
- Select Data Validation > Data Validation
- In the Data Validation dialog box, on the Settings tab, select List in the Allow drop-down selector
- Select the icon to the right of the sources field, and highlight cells A1 through A4 (you could also type =$A$1:$A$4 into the sources field)
- Select OK
Cell B1 should now contain a drop-down selector with the options in cells A1 through A4.