Let's say you have a 10 page word document, and at unpredicable places within the word document, you start a new section that you want to be defined in your table of contents. Follow these instructions to create the table of contents.
- Highlight the first line of text that you want to be in your table of contents
- At the top of Word, select the Home tab
- In the Styles section, select Heading 1, Heading 2, or Title. This will change the font. You can adjust the font however you would like.
Repeat these steps for the additional lines of text that you want to be in your table of contents.
Follow these steps to add the Table of Contents:
- Place your cursor where you want the Table of Contents to appear.
- In the top of Word, select the References tab
- Select Table of Contents > Automatic Table 1
The table of contents should now appear, with the headings you selected in your text.