Let's say we have two Windows Servers, Server1 and Server2. Follow these steps to configure the firewall on Server2 using Server1. This assumes you are able to manage both Server1 and Server2 using Server1.
- In Server Manager, right-click on Server2 and select Windows Powershell
- Type Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Windows Firewall Remote Management" -enabled True
This Powershell cmdlet can be used to verify remote management has been enabled:
- Set-NetFirewallRule -DisplayGroup "Windows Firewall Remote Management"
Now we can view Windows Firewall on the remote machine:
- Open an MMC console
- Select File > Add/Remove Snap-in
- In the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, highlight Windows Firewall with Advanced Security and select Add
- In the pop-up box that appear, select Another computer, type Server2, and select OK
You should now be able to configure the firewall for the remote machine.