If error 403.14 Permission Denied appears when attempting to view an MVC page in a web browser, first check to see if the project is an application in IIS:
- In the left panel of IIS, expand the Sites folder and locate your MVC application.
If the icon displayed is a folder, your MVC website is not configured as an application in IIS. If the icon displayed is a globe, your MVC website is configured as an application.
If your MVC website displays a folder and it not configured as an application, do the following:
- Right-click on the folder icon in IIS and select Convert to Application.
- In the Add Application pop-up box, select OK. The icon in the left pane of IIS should now appear as a globe.
Ensure the application is configured to use ASP.NET 4.0:
- In the left panel of IIS, expand the Sites folder and select your MVC application.
- In the right panel of IIS, select Basic Settings.
- In the Edit Site pop-up box, click the Select icon.
- In the Application pool drop-down box, select ASP.NET v4.0.