IMPORTANT! Adding a storage drive to VMWare's vSphere will format the drive, which will completely wipe the data from the drive. A minimum of 2 drives are required to move data from a Windows, Mac or Linux storage drive into VMWare. First, install VMWare's ESXi and vSphere on strorage drive "a." Create a virtual machine in VMWare, and then configure the virtual machine with a share. Add the share to computer "b." Move the data from computer "a" on the share on computer "b."
Follow these directions to add a storge drive in VMware's vSphere:
- In vSphere, select the root of your directory structure
- Select the Configuration tab
- Select Storage
- Select Add Storage...
- In the Add Storage dialog box, make the following selections:
- Bullet Disk/LUN and select Next
- Highlight the storage device you wish to add, and select Next
- Select Next
- When prompted to enter a datastore name, enter a new datastore name. The name of your current datastore(s) can be viewed on the Configuration tab in vSphere.
- Bullet Maximum available space and select Next
- Select Finish
The new storage device will now appear on the Configuration tab.